A- A A+

Search

 

Brief History of Goa Medical College & Hospital

The "Escola Medico Cirurgica da Goa" and was established in 1842 during the Portuguese rule and renamed as Goa Medical College in 1963. It is one of the oldest Medical College in Asia. The college is under the Goa University since 1986 before which it was under the Bombay University. Goa Medical College Hospital which now has its headquarters in Bambolim has a long tradition of providing quality services to all sections of the society. The Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (Bambolim) the TB and Chest Disease Hospital (St. Inez), The Rural Health and Training Centre (Mandur) and the Urban Health Centre (St. Cruz) form part of the Establishment. The Medical College besides striving to achieve excellence in patient care, has been instrumental in training number of medical professionals who are providing yeomen services to the people in Goa and abroad. The vision of this institute is to impart quality medical services to the all sections of the society and further improve the health scenario of the State. The college maintains high standards of medical education conforming to the guidelines laid down by the Medical Council of India to ensure that we bridge the treatment gap for medical care in the community.